Culture: My Outing to the Liberia National Museum


 This past Monday was a rainy, and due to the fact that I did not have much work to do I decided to treat myself to a cultural experience. After two years of living in Liberia it was unfortunate that I had never visited the Liberia National Museum. I did not know what I was missing! The museum was filled with so much history and culture with displays of both "Americo" and "Native" Liberian artifacts. My tour guide Lamie was so informative and funny. I'm a sucker for art and culture so it was a great beginng to the week. (Pictured above is the fist ever made Liberian flag)



A replica of the Lone Star. One of the ships that brought the freed American slaves to Liberia.

 

A Proclamation re-written by former President William V.S. Tubman providing women the right to vote

 

A photograph of a typical house of Americo Liberians in the mid 1800's





Photographs taken in the 1960's of Liberians in the rural areas







Bullets covering the streets of post-war Monrovia


 

An ancient fertility statue




 
Paintings by local Liberians





0 comments:

Post a Comment